Saturday, June 26, 2010

Farm Fresh Deviled Eggs

We were recently invited to a pot-luck at nearby Tomten Farm, and I was going around in circles trying to think of something to take...  And then it came to me, Deviled Eggs, of course.  They're the perfect pot-luck dish, and always the first thing to go.  I was going to need a bit of creativity though if I wanted all the ingredients to come from the farm, and avoid using store-bought pickle relish, mustard, and mayo.  And this is what happened:


Dill & Radish Deviled Eggs
(This recipe does not come with measurements, so just keep testing the flavor and texture until it's the way you like it.)

Eggs- collected from the chickens that day
Mayo- home-made, recipe below
Leeks- in place of onions, that we don't have this time of year
Raddishes- I used mild French Breakfast raddishes, but would have preferred something with more spice and bite.

Dill- freshly picked from the dome green-house
Mustard Flowers- great mustard flavor, and bright garnish
Salt, Pepper, and Paprika- store bought, except for the pepper that I harvested on a farm in Belize

-Hard boiled eggs are always a struggle for me, but I followed James Beard's instructions and started the eggs in cold water, brought them to a boil, cooked for 10 minutes, and put them straight into cold water.
-When cool, I sliced them in half, scooping out the deep yellow yolks. I mixed the yolks with the mayo, finely chopped leeks, raddishes, dill (lots of it), and salt and pepper. 
-After scooping a dollop of filling back into each egg-white, I added a small bunch of mustard flowers and sprinkled with paprika.

This, I'm sure, was only the beginning of my Deviled Egg experiment for the summer.

Simple DIY Mayo Instructions:

2 Egg Yolks, 1 1/2C vegetable oil, 1T vinegar, salt and pepper.
-Wisk egg yolks with a pinch of salt
-Keep wisking, adding oil one drop at a time (We didin't have an electric mixer, but I hope you do!) until a quarter of the oil has been blended
-At this point, beat in the vinegar, and then return to wisking in the remaining oil.
-The mayo should be thick and creamy, and will ticken even more in the refrigerator.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

abby, i had forgotten to look at worms make dirt, perhaps a facebook note with the worms make dirt address so people could be reminded to look at it and enjoy it.
I love how you write and describe things and the pictures are beautiful!!!!!
thank you
love and love you